Thursday, January 9, 2014

Is That All There Is?

When you compare New Testament Christianity with the lifestyle of today's Christian; there is no question there is a vast difference. If Christians were truly honest with themselves, they would have to admit they not reached their full potential in Christ. And they would also have to admit they have not grown spiritually in years!

It is not my intention to condemn or put anyone on a guilt trip. None of us (including me) have reached our full maturity in Christ. Phil. 1:6 My concern is that most of us have become satisfied having our 'ticket' to heaven that we no longer see the need to exert any effort to deepen our walk with Christ. 

Poet Wilbur Reese wrote:

I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please.

Not enough or explode my soul or disturb my sleep,
But just enough to equal a cup of warm milk, or a snooze in the sunshine.
I don’t want enough of Him to make me love a black man, 
or pick beets with a migrant worker.
I want ecstasy, not transformation.
I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth.
I want a pound of the eternal in a paper sack.
I would like to buy three pounds of God, please.

For Paul, Jesus was his everything, it was his life. "To me the only important thing about living is Christ..." Most of us cannot testify that Jesus is the most important thing in our lives. Our life is not built around Him.  People look at our lives and they are often disappointed at what they see. No power. No joy. No peace. They do not see much difference in our lives and theirs. It is time that we:
Rise up, O men of God!
Have done with lesser things.
Give heart and mind and soul and strength
To serve the King of kings.






No comments:

Post a Comment