Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Conformed? or Transformer?

Several years ago, while helping get our Christian Campground ready for the summer, I observed something that gave me tremendous insight in the lives of many Christians. Two young boys were in the tabernacle "playing church." One was on the platform 'preaching' and the other boy was the 'congregation.' Supposedly the Holy Spirit 'blessed' the congregation of one to the extent he was motivated to get into the aisle, running and praising the Lord. 

Up to this they were not aware of my presence, so when the 'congregation' of one came to the back of the tabernacle, I stepped out of the shadows and wondered how my appearance would affect him. He was not affected at all. When he saw me he said, "Praise the Lord, brother" and never broke his stride. It was then I had my epiphany. 

I realized we have people in our congregation that have been conformed to a lifestyle but they have not been transformed by the Holy Spirit. John 5:24 They know how to conduct themselves. They have watched what Christians do, say, and act  and they conform accordingly. But they know nothing about intimacy with God. They are Chirstian actors but not genuine Christ-followers. 

Vance Havner, an old-fashioned Baptist pastor, once said ,The church has been subnormal for so long, that when it does get back to normal, people think they are abnormal.  





No comments:

Post a Comment